Today students frequently avoid self-training, even if the task is not difficult. This is because some of them have no necessary skills and motivation to learn foreign languages. So, good organization of such students would be the best means of energizing of their mental and speech activity to encourage them to study English.
Home training activities for a student consist of the execution of tasks performed on its own. They are focused on lesson review, practical application, the development of individual creativity, the perfection of educational abilities (https://study.com/blog/how-to-teach-students-with-different-learning-abilities.html) to make language learning easier.
- Consolidating and improving theoretical knowledge;
- Strengthening abilities and skills;
- Application of knowledge under different conditions;
- Preparations for learning.
Types of homework: theoretical learning, skills and abilities training, application in new situations, collection and systemization, preparatory classes, combining.
Homework content includes:
- Learning material based on the manual;
- Speaking practice;
- Written exercising;
- Creative working;
- Practical and laboratory working;
- Relevant tables, charts and schemes creating.
The following forms of home training activities are used in educational practice: individual, cooperative, creative, differentiated, one for the whole group, homework planning for a group mate.
You can also take more information on the topic by reference to pro-papers.com/english-homework-help
Content, pattern and functions of homework cannot be considered in isolation from content, pattern and methods of the lesson plan. Many components, stages of the lesson are directly linked to subsequent homework execution, checking, setting the homework and individual work of the student during the class.
Content and scope of homework should meet the following basic requirements:
- Homework should be closely related to the classroom teaching to correspond to its content as a logical extension of previous lessons and to lay the foundation for subsequent training activities. Homework should be feasible and understandable for students, but not an exact copy made in class.
- Homework is the type of training fostering creativity and imagination, thereby arousing students interest in problem-solving.
- It also should take into account individual differences of a student. The requirement of differentiation, individualization of homework have a key role.
- Homework must be checked by the teacher which contributes to motivation and mobilization of the powers and abilities of a student.
- Homework should include questions that require the student’s skills to compare, analyze, summarize, classify, identify cause-effect relationships, draw conclusions, apply the knowledge acquired in new situations.
- It is better to give the task aimed at the lesson learning at the end of the class. The task for fixing any skill is recommended immediately after a skill developing exercise. Tasks that control the knowledge of students are more useful at the beginning of the lesson.
- Homework should be a short one to avoid the student’s mental overload and loss of its motivation to study.
Homework test confirms the performance by the student of its obligations, correct execution, quality, independence of thought, the definition of techniques used during its home training activities, and its readiness to learn new material.
The question of evaluating homework is important. But it is more important than homework evokes student’s idea and creative activity. Enhancing the content and organization of homework is one of the ways of improving the learning process. Practical and useful homework system is thus essential for effective acquiring the knowledge and abilities.